Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Still "not learning"....

A white stork landed in our neighbour's field yesterday! I'm not much of an ornithologist, but it was an amazing sight. In flight it was magical - all wings and legs, slowly and carefully coming in to land on his pagoda thing.

We got a pic, but not a very good one. You might be able to make it out:














Oh dear, it's really not clear, is it? One of the few times I (like Qalballah) wish I had a decent camera.

Lyddie grabbed the bird book. She's been doing a lot of that recently, since we saw a couple of big fat wood pigeons waddling up the drive last week and wondered what they were. I ought to have known - I'd heard their call and known from my childhood what kind of bird made that noise - but had never seen one, hence the book being out. Aren't they huge?

"How can I find the page about storks?" asked Lyddie.














"Look it up in the index at the back. It will be alphabetical." We said the alphabet as she scrolled with her finger through to S, read out the page number and found the right page. We read about storks and found out what we wanted to know about them. Then she pulled her boots on and went out "bird-hunting", as she calls it. Creeping up on them quietly and seeing how close she can get.

Our home ed meetings start again tomorrow. We're very pleased - we have missed them.

3 Comments:

Blogger Shirl said...

A white stork - I hope it didn't bring any babies with it! lol.

I loved your previous post too. Sometimes I'm amazed at how much learning does take place in conversations and every day things.

4:43 pm, April 16, 2008  
Blogger Gill said...

LOL, not as far as I know, Shirl ;-) It hid them well, if it did!

It is amazing, isn't it? I'm glad I've got this blog, so I can keep proving (to myself as much as anyone else) how well it really does work.

11:52 pm, April 16, 2008  
Blogger Jan said...

I saw a stork a few years ago at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, just flying by. There's a great story about storks, called The Wheel on the School, about a Dutch village who want to attract storks back to their village because they are good luck, and how the whole village work togather to make it happen.

12:13 pm, May 02, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home